Permanent Residency or Green Card Delay Update

The USCIS recently announced people could experience up to an 8 week delay in the delivery of their permanent resident card (green card) while they are actually updating the equipment that produces the green card or permanent residency card itself.

In the meantime the USCIS Field Offices will issue temporary evidence of permanent residence in the form of an I-551 stamp to applicants approved for permanent residence at the time of their interview.  Just take your passport to your appointment.  If you do not have a passport, you must bring a passport photo and some form of government issued photo identification to receive the temporary evidence of permanent residence.

Finally if the application is approved subsequent to your interview, by a Service Center or the National Benefit Center, the applicant should bring the above documents to an INFOPASS appointment to be issued temporary evidence of permanent residence in the form of an I-551 stamp.

6 thoughts on “Permanent Residency or Green Card Delay Update

  1. i entered in US on 5th of sep on immigrent visa and is waiting for green card,Can you tell me when would i rec my Green Card,

  2. Hi Muhammad,
    Generally the say it will take 2-3 months to mail it to you, so you should receive it very soon based on your entry date.

  3. I Have arrived in USA on June,5 2010. But i do not have my social security No. and Green card. What shall i do.

  4. after my interview in jan, 2010 i was told that i will recieve my permanent green card within 6 months, i still havent recieved it yet. i cant afford to hire an attorney . what shall i do .

  5. Hi ya, I entered the US on 8th Sept, 2011. I applied for my Perm Res card as I am a applying under the American Indian having been born in Canada. I submitted the supporting documentation on the 18th Oct, 2011. Since then I have returned to my local office and been informed that my application has not even been put in the system as there has been a change to the system which does not accommodate my situation. I have been told, given the correct documentation, that I can not be denied, which is also my understanding. Can you let me know what I can do…I can not continue to wait (it has been 2 months with no progress) as I can not work nor go to school until this is settled. Just trying to find an answer and hoping maybe you can point me to the right way.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.